Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Shopping. . . healthily. . . on a budget?

Once a week, I go shopping. I use coupons, and spend as little as possible. It used to be that I didn’t buy fruit or vegetables, thinking that they were too expensive. As we’ve been on this journey, however, I’ve been learning that it is possible to eat healthily on a budget.
Here is what we got today.
Aldi
1 pint grape tomatoes
Fruity Marshmallows
1 fresh pineapple
2 23 oz. jars of applesauce
1 lb. fresh kiwi
1 large fresh cucumber
1 package celery

Weis
2 18 oz. bottles spicy brown mustard
2 lbs. Hillshire Farms smoked sausage
1 Pillsbury brownie mix

Target (paid nothing here)
1 pair flip-flops
Jergen Natural Glow body lotion

Wal-Mart (paid nothing here)
2 packages Bic pens
2 facial scrubs

Giant
Mrs. Dash seasoning blend
1 lb. grapefruit
4 lbs. oranges
2 12 oz. packages turkey bacon
2 dozen eggs

CVS (spent 12 ECBs, got 12 ECBs)
2 8.4 oz. Crest ProHealth mouth rinse
2 bottles Aussie shampoo
1 bottle Herbal Essence shampoo
1 bottle CVS shampoo
1 bottle Dawn dish soap
1 Lady Speed Stick Deoderant
1 package SweetTarts (filler)

Budget Bakery
3 loaves Sara Lee Whole Wheat bread


Total before coupons: 78.55 (Really should be higher, but I got amazing deals on the fruit, and I don't know its normal price.)
Total after coupons: 24.19

So, yes, my friends, it can be done!

1 comment:

daftkitty said...

I'm a big fan of farmer's markets and local produce too - you don't pay for packaging, everything's fresh, local and often organic. I can take $20 and come home with three bulging bags of fruits and veg! That makes my grocery store bill much, much less...

Jason's Progress

Bethany's Progress